Monday, June 27, 2016

Open Letter To Patton Oswalt I Hope He Never Sees

Patton Oswalt has been a true hero of mine for many years, particularly when I wanted to be a standup comedian. Now, his wife is dead, and my wife is dead. We're practically bereavement bros! I've had people talk about him to me, asking how I felt about the inspiring comedian's loss.

Basically, how I feel about Patton Oswalt becoming a widower is that, well, I did it first. And I had to do it at the rosy-cheeked age of 26. I have my own grief to worry about, so I don't really give a Bulgarian whooping fuck. I'm sure I would care if he decided to move to my town and join my bereavement support group and let me share my story with him every week while he shared his with me. But he's a stranger on the other side of the country: I have my own grief to mourn. He certainly doesn't need my sympathy or empathy, not while he has a huge fan base and social media exists.

That's not to say I can't empathize. I don't have any kids or fame, but I clearly get that whole losing-the-wife thing.  I'm sure I could give him all kinds of wisdom from the POV of being eight-and-a-half months into this thing, like 'you never heal' and 'take care of yourself first before worrying about others.' But I'm still all fucked up over losing MY wife. So I'm not running to Twitter to offer 140 characters of trope he's likely hearing from a thousand other fanboys.


That being said, the fanboy in me would love to sit down and talk to what I consider a comedy juggernaut, and listen to him real-talk about his wife. Plus, then, I could get all blubbery and mourny with Patton Oswalt! *titters and fans face with hands*

No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you brought enough comment to share with the whole class!