Friday, June 24, 2016

Hold your applause until the end, seriously

A few days ago, I had the best day, bar none, of my grief. So naturally, yesterday, I felt like a lukewarm turd. From the moment I woke up, I was drained, depressed, unmotivated, and utterly pissed at existence. To be honest, I was expecting to have a grief hangover from my good day, but it came later than expected. The shiny beam of rainbows and glitter, at least, is the fact that the good day was the result of me completing the rough draft of a book manuscript to honor my wife.

And I would happily give up my book manuscript for my wife to be here to share the good news with. I've been wrestling with whether or not to make a blog post about it, because it's not a final manuscript, or a publishing contract, it's no more than a rough (90,000 word!) draft. But my wife would be over the moon, so proud of me. And obscenely flattered that it's written in her honor. She was someone I could share even the most trivial accomplishments with, and she sort of had to acknowledge me. But she never made it seem like a chore to be stoked on me. But you know me. I still need validation.


I don't expect everyone will like my book. If you've been keeping up with the blog, you know I'm fairly disturbed. I've heard that art should 'comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable,' which I've taken to heart. So the more comfortable you are in life, the more you may be disturbed by my creative writing. But I hope that some of you are paradoxically comforted, against all odds. My wife would absolutely love it, and that's enough for me. You could say feeling disturbed was a bonding quality for us. So look for my book, coming eventually, to a store or e-store near you! But, when you read the inside jacket or online description, expect very little in the way of rainbows or glitter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you brought enough comment to share with the whole class!