Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Go forth and set the world on fire (in effigy)

I haven't met anyone in mourning who has no regrets. And if I encountered someone who claimed to have gone through the grief process regret-free, I would slap them and call them a liarpants. One of the numerous support groups I attend regularly had us do an exercise tonight, where we wrote out all the regrets we could think of, and then we burned them. We all admitted to various levels of pyromania during the ritual, so that was fun. You probably get affectionate about arson, too (unless you're grieving someone you lost in a fire, or something like that).

I highly suggest writing out regrets and then torching those bad boys. If you're anything like me in grief, you'd like to burn some shit down. Why not make it symbolic? If you already have a fire pit, burn barrel, fireplace, chiminea or antique pot-bellied stove, you can do this right now. Otherwise you can grab an old pot you never cook with. Go write down something you regret, strike a match or flick a Bic, and say 'goodbye' as the paper curls, and your regret turns orange, then black, then white and and then crumbles into nothingness. Although, it may be wise to try and get someone to do it with you. Setting small fires by yourself may not be a habit you'd end up proud of. But if you do it with someone else, then it becomes a 'special ceremony' instead of a 'misdemeanor*.' 

Everyone in my support group agreed, we wanna burn more things now. Because fire is cleansing and revitalizing. Even while it's also profoundly destructive. Plus, like I said, we're all pyromaniacs, here. That's why, even though lightbulbs were invented in  1879, candles are still a $2 billion a year industry**. There's a reason why a-million-and-one songs on the radio rhyme 'fire' with 'desire.' You know you wanna do it...you're burning for it...

*I actually have no idea if burning a couple pieces of paper is illegal, where I live or anywhere. Consult an attorney, if that's your thing


**According to a five-second Google search

2 comments:

  1. I did this with fear. It was a freeing ritual. I have also burnt all of the cancer and medical paperwork. They needed to leave this world by fire! I am also a bit pyro. Lol. Fire can be a very useful tool for healing somehow.

    Fuchsia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! And you've given me ideas of some more papers I can burn...fuckin' useless fuckin' hospice...

      Delete

I hope you brought enough comment to share with the whole class!